Tuesday 31 December 2013

Reviewing 2013

Everyone says the years fly by, and this one is now almost over, but can you remember everything that's happened in the past 365 days, or even the bigger stories?

I guess we'll all remember the deaths of Nelson Mandela and Margaret Thatcher, but how about the 1129 who died in the building collapse in Dhaka in April, or the 6149 who died because of Typhoon Haiyan in November?
     In other news, this was also the year of Edward Snowden, the 3D printer, a meteor over Russia, Pope Francis and Prince George. Will I remember all this in years to come, maybe, maybe not, but there are some things I will recall, things that are a little more personal...

I graduated with a 2:1 in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University, and then stayed on to do a PGCE, which I am now part way through.

I visited the Cathedrals of Salisbury and St Pauls for the first time, as part of my job with Bath Abbey, which I finished in July.

I fractured my left arm during what turned into something of an epic cycle ride (see more here: http://jbayes-insideoutside.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/an-unexpected-journey.html)

I was in the crowd on the first two days of the summer Ashes series at Trent Bridge, a victorious series, although that certainly seems a long time ago given the current situation in Australia.



The weirdest moment of the year would have to be when ITV rang me up to ask if I was interested in auditioning for 'Take me out', I declined, but it was flattering none the less!

The most memorable days, though, are easily the best ones, and it is hard to call between them.
     I guess the most exciting individual day would be seeing the mighty Nottinghamshire Outlaws cricket team win the trophy at Lords Cricket Ground, my first visit to the famous venue. I love sport. I love the competition and the way it unifies people. Next year sees the Winter Olympics and the Commonwealth games and I hope both will help to bring greater peace between people and nations.
     For me though the best thing I did this year was driving through the Canadian Rockies with my sisters in June. It was a beautiful experience with mind-blowing scenery. Certainly something I won't forget.


This has been my 100th blog post, thank you to everyone who has taken time to indulge me by reading them. Watch out for more in 2014!

Have a very happy and blessed New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment